Please, read the introduction page of this blog!

4/12/2014

CHANGES

In earlier post named DISILLUSIONED - ENGLIGHTENED, I have told what happened in The Christian Community, congregation of Tampere, Finland, I'm a member of. All that changed permanently the way I see my denomination, but some kind of change was already on its way anyway. Now, one year later, I try to tell what exactly has changed.

The Christian Community claims to be the "movement for religious renewal." I think that is completely ungrounded. Maybe it was something new when it was founded in 1922 - for example, women priests were ordained right from the beginning - but not for decades anymore! Recently initiated blessing of the same-sex couples is a big step for the Christian Community, but it certainly is not a forerunner; first such blessings took place in 1960's and 70's. Within its own borders it is quite strict, and I cant't help thinking that in the name of renewal, too much of tradition of 2000 years was also thrown out - that famous "baby with a bathwater."  In many ways The Christian Community has got stuck and is looking backwards: "Rudolf Steiner this and Rudolf Steiner that..." Osho's criticism on Rudolf Steiner seems very valid to me. I'm tired of fanaticism of his followers; it's like he's next to God and his every word is divine revelation for them. Yet in the beginning his name was a guarantee there must be something deeper in The Christian Community (and for other people it is obviously a warning sign). It is true there is no dogma in The Christian Community; however, there are many beliefs held so self-evident, it is hard to feel at home if you question them, and it is a blind spot for most. I myself used to repeat the phrase I was told, that Rudolf Steiner brought forth the new and modern Sacraments from the Spiritual World, until I realized how arrogant statement that is; it is actually saying, "our Sacraments are the best - directly from the Spiritual World!" I say Rudolf Steiner as human being made them up based on his own understanding. Everything else is pointless mystification. It won't make the matter itself any less. I know too much to be able to think that The Christian Community is unique and highest on earth. In every place I've been, I have found same strong spirit of "US"; in some degree it is justified - you can be proud of your own, but it should not blind you from seeing what is good elsewhere.
And I have to say with experience of over ten years, that The Christian Community at least in Finland is some quarrelsome group; especially priests have repeatedly had difficulties in co-operation with each other. I don't have anything to compare to; I don't know how it is in other spiritual movements, so I'm not saying this is typically a problem with The Christian Community. I'm rather inclined to assume it is a problem with people in communities. In essence, The Christian Community is not a cult, but there are people involved who have a cult mentality. And that applies to all denominations. It is simply one church among others - not better or worse.
I have neither reason to recommend The Christian Community, or not to; Jesus' advice -  “Come, and you will see" (John 1:39) says it all. If one can accept the contents of the Sacraments and feel to receive something, that is all you need. About The Act of Consecration of Man, I have always liked the fact it doesn't contain any forced outward participation of the congregation. As Alfred Heidenreich writes: "The co-operation is one of inward activity. The congregation is not merely addressed, nor are meditations simply read to them. Neither are there external forms of movement or expressions, such as kneeling down and standing up in frequent succession. The co-operation is one of pure spiritual activity. For this (at any rate within the sphere of western civilisation) the sitting posture in most adequate. In this respect the Act of Consecration of Man is reminiscent of the quiet intensity of a good Quaker Meeting..." Sometimes it's very soothing that I don't need to do anything, not even to pray, but instead I am prayed for; I can just be still and have rest for my soul.
After months I didn't attend to Church Service last year, I crossed the final psychological barrier, and started to have Communion by myself at home. This is the Future! Right now I'm tired of reading, pondering, and discussing on spirituality; I keep up my daily prayers and meditation, and just live my life. That's all I need to do to connect to Other Reality beyond this material existence.

I came to the community like a child, willingly embracing everything I was given. Now I have grown up. I admit such a child-like attitude may carry you a long way, but I no longer find that an ideal state of affairs. I guess I'm just too much of an individual thinker to be able to adapt to any community. They all, without exception, have their own collective understanding, even if they had no dogma.
Term "christian" is also too narrow for me. I don't want to buy the whole box with that label attached to it. There's too much useless junk in it. In a way I could say, "once gnostic, always gnostic". I have been involved with one modern gnostic movement, and totally dissociated myself from it, but what I understand by "gnosticism" today, is something else: it is movement of free, individual spirit; and what I mean by "movement", is simply that spirit must always keep moving.
I have read a lot all my life - I'm 44 now - about different religions, spiritual movements, historical critical Bible study, mythology, church history, atheistic criticism of religion, philosophy of religion, esoterism... you name it. All this - of course linked with life-experience - provides you with wider perspective and sense of proportion; you will less likely expect too much from anything, but rather see it as it really is. You will see people can be shitty everywhere, no matter how nobel ideals they may have, and there is no "Truth" with capital "T" among men on this earth. The more you know, the less you suppose - and especially the less you think you know, and finally the highest knowledge is to know that you know nothing. Knowledge becomes the firm foundation upon which you may jump to reach for the Heights.
That which is "safe" is not always best for man; it is stopping, while progress requires taking risks. The one who walks his own way, must be ready for loneliness. The "lost sheep" of the parable is not in a bad condition; an individual must leave to experience, not follow the flock. "Small gate" and "narrow road" only fit for individual, who goes before; "wide gate" and "broad road" are for the masses, that will follow. I am wandering in the wilderness, crying, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Old ideas, old idols, are falling down. They need to die in order for something new to be born. It's painful, but those are birth pains.

If there is "Church of Christ", it is invisible, and its members come from all religions and outside of them. Jesus Christ did not found a church, let alone religion; he gave spiritual power back to people. I don't believe in church, nor profess religion.
Today I want to know Jesus the Son of Man and his message, rather than some mythical godfigure and doctrines made of him. Jesus is an englightened Teacher, Christ is a cosmic principle, an Archetype of Divine Man, but also a living flame of Godhead within each person's soul. Jesus became Christ. Christ is universal - he belongs to all humanity, not for Christians alone. You don't even have to know about Jesus Christ - Christ is an objective fact behind all creation. It doesn't give you any privilege if you cry out his name, or believe this or that doctrine about him. (Older post in this blog, "Jesus Christ: Life and Mission", reveals I used to rely on Rudolf Steiner's Christology; it served me well for a while, helping me to better understand truths of Christianity. But I no longer believe Christ is Divine Being who took over Jesus' bodily form for three years.)
I don't claim any of this is true; it is my point exactly - a man can not possess the TRUTH, that is, to understand God. All theories are tools we use to classify our world to be able to comprehend it. But mere theories they always remain.
My own personal Jesus

My idea of Jesus is an image I have created that best serves my goals. I might worship ancient Egyptian gods just as well, but I was raised in Christian culture, surrounded by those images, so why not use them as I please? People - Christian, or otherwise - do that anyway, whether they admit it or not. After all, it was my great realization that as a child I used to build imaginary worlds in my mind, and with such a great devotion - literally - I prepared to play before I even began. And even though I grew up, this was still the case, now in the name of "religion". The same "Holy Play" is going on. A child still lives partly in Heaven, here and now, exploring the world with all one's senses, and without knowledge of "sin" or "evil". "The Kingdom of Heaven" is a realm of imagination and creativity, and to become like a child is to surrender to the Play in earnest, but not humourlessly.
I believe in Divine, or Godhead, but rather don't want to define it too much; term "God" is biased. What people usually do, they draw borderlines between one another with these definitions, and simultaneously they try to limit Godhead within their narrow mind.
I don't even need the Bible. At best, it is fine collection of aphorisms. At worsed, it is full of shit. I'm ready to abandon the Scripture althogether, when it contradicts my conscience, or it is used as a weapon against me. I don't believe it is the infallible "Word of God". Even the most conservative Christians use it selectively, and even the literal interpretation is just that -  interpretation. I might honestly choose my own canon of "Holy Scripture", if you like. I have already made up my own traditions. It is pathetic to mould your whole life according to thousands of years old writings. So, to those Bible-bashing Christians I could say, "you can shove it up your ass!"

As a middle-aged man, looking back at my life, I can say with wisdom brought by life-experience, that young person should not waste his or her youth with religious daydreaming, but to live, experience, and enjoy, also making mistakes because that is part of life.

No comments: