Please, read the introduction page of this blog!

11/12/2013

SPIRITUAL IMPULSES INFLUENCING ME

Marko; aura photo 1993
Since Cynthia Kiteley Lee - whom I have honor to know - listed her spiritual paths on Mystical Order of the White Rose Newsletter, October 2013, I started to think is it even possible for me to make a simlar list of all major spiritual impulses that influece me. First I tried to make some sort of chart, but it became too messy and hard to read. Problem is, of course, that we hardly even know everything that has had impact on us, so I can only list things that I know for sure, and choose those that have had more than random and passing effect.
I do this because it is interesting to me; not that it has any value to you. Then again, how could I possibly know. I list religions, movements, and characters that stand out, and try to say few words about each one.

Religions

  • Christianity; isn't it obvious. If I had been raised in Islamic country, it would be Islam. Once I thought Christianity is all the same, but it's not. If you say you're Christian, you don't really say anything about yourself - there are as many ways to be Christian as there are Christians.
  • Judaism; when I have studied Jewish roots of Christianity - for instance, Hebrew Bible in historical critical light - I have come to appreciate Judaism more and more for the sake of itself. It is not just some preceding phase to Christianity. Jesus was Jew til the end of his life, and never meant to start a new religion. I practice Seder meal in Christian context every year, and I wear Tallit when I pray, and I use Psalms as prayers - which is common practice for both Jewish and Christian - as did Jesus with his disciples. Kabbalah is interesting, but rather unfamiliar to me, and seems very complicated and intellectual. Maybe someday...
  • Buddhism; just as diverse as Christianity: there are many schools, some even more or less emphasize salvation through faith. I do like Tibetan Buddhism and respect Dalai Lama, but I'm more into Theravada forms (except for Zen, which is Mahayana, and the most interesting form of Buddhism to me).
  • Hinduism; even if common folks may actually believe in many gods and goddesses, philosophy of Hinduism is very profound; the idea of Brahman, the Absolute, the one and only beyond all manifestation, is close to ideas of Philo of Alexandria, contemporary of Jesus, who influenced on developing Christian thought more than his own Jewish people. I celebrate Puja ritual every night, with Christian imagery. 
  • Neopaganism; I was first interested in Wicca when I was in my 20's. Nowadays I'm interested in all aspects of neopaganism.
I don't mention Islam here; I have read many books on Islam, and I still don't get hold of it. I do appreciate Sufism, though, but I only know it theoretically.

Within Christianity

  • Lutheranism; I was born in Lutheran country and baptised Lutheran. That's part of the reason why I grew alienated from it. Only much later I have actually read what Martin Luther thought, and it was an eye-opener. However, Lutheranism after Luther is something else anyway.
  • Orthodox Christianity; after my break up with Lutheranism, it was Orthodox Christianity that made me approach Christianity again - through experience of the Divine Liturgy alone, not by intellect. The Orthodox Church is less dogmatic than Roman Catholic church, and they have preserved very old tradition.
  • Catholicism; maybe it's because I was born in Lutheran country that I find Catholicism fascinating in many ways - certainly not because of its dogmatism or Papacy, but because of rich current of Mysticism that always has lived underneath all that. I've had Rosary for years!
  • Quakerism; probably the most radical form of reformation. I have been to quaker meetings, and read about their history. Silence is something I can understand.  I like their stand against war. One must respect such Faith.
  • Knights Templar; many esoteric movements claim knights templar as their own. It may be hard to get true information. Even though they were both warriors and monks, and that may seem contradictory, there is something deeply fascinating about them. Somebody once told me, I was Knight Templar in previous life. I honor them as martyrs.
  • Catharism; since I was a pupil in Lectorium Rosicrucianum, which sees itself as spiritual heir to Cathars, I was intrigued by them as well. I was even obsessed by the idea to go for  pilgrimage to Languedoc, France. I admire their strong faith and endurance even through the fire and death. I later came to know French person living in Finland, who actually was Cathar, but I must say he didn't make a good impression: fasting at the cost of your health is stupid. At least in Lectorium Rosicrucianum the fast was considered spiritual fasting from this world.
  • Esoteric Christianity; many movements I have been involved with, represent Esoteric Christianity. Religion always has its esoteric core and exoteric form.

Other spiritual impulses

  •  Theosophy; my awakening to spiritual quest in my 20's first occured through Theosophy. I have translated many theosophical articles for my Finnish blog, but it's noteworthy they originate from other Theosophical societies than the one with headquaters in Adyar, the only one represented in Finland. I don't think much of Annie Besant, and I don't consider C.W. Leadbeater a trustworthy clairvoyant; besides, he was a pedophile - facts are heavy. 
  • Anthroposophy; I have long been indirectly doing with Anthroposophy. First I thought it is more modern and more suitable for Western mind than Theosophy, but I have come to see how fanatical and dogmatic Anthroposophists can be. I guess it's no wonder because Anthroposophy is all about Rudolf Steiner, and has absorbed truths of one religion - Christianity - as part of itself.
  • Rosicrucianism; there are many forms of rosicrucianism, many movements use this name. Symbol of Rosy Cross is dear to me. Some say Christian Rozenkreuz was an actual person, but I was taught and still believe that he is symbolic figure. After all, his name means "Christian Rosy-Cross"!
  • Gnosticism; I was Gnostic once, and what was said above, goes with gnosticism as well. Movements that claim to be Gnostic, are very different from one another. Lectorium Rosicrucianum represents pure form of gnosticism; this world is seen as evil and corrupt, and we must rise away from it. In a way, "once gnostic, always gnostic"; certain ideas are current in my life that could be considered "gnostic", mostly freedom and individuality in Spirit that I have read were related to original Christian Gnosticism in the beginning of Christian Era.
  • Satanism; probably the most surprising revelation on this list. But I will return to this topic later. Anyway, there is nothing frightening about satanism to me. I don't even believe in personal evil - nor absolute evil. In Finland there is one umbrella association for "laveyan satanists" and neopagans, like Wiccans!
  • Zen; to me, it is mostly meditation - being present here and now. That has become important part of my daily life. Sometimes I go to Zendo, where I learned this method, but I don't want to go to Retreats; it's just too much.
  • Unitarian Universalism; I was Unitarian Universalist early in my life, and I didn't know it myself. I didn't practice any particular religion, but I did believe in God and prayed. Today, Belief System Selector quiz of SelectSmart.com told me I'm 100% Unitarian Universalist! It makes sense too. In a way I have completed the full circle in my life.

Personalities

  •  Jesus of Nazareth; so self-evident I almost didn't mention it. Today I want to know Jesus the Teacher - Jesus' teachings instead of teachings about Jesus (and that excludes St. Paul too!). His voice is clear in the Gospels. It's amazing to see how only very few ever have followed in his footsteps - many claim to do that, but try to explain his demanding words away. Of course his overall character is dear to me too, and why not use it as central point of my devotion. It's hard to worship abstract concept of God, without something concrete to take hold of.
  • Mary Magdalene; it's not by chance I chose her as "Patroness" of my online ministry, now known as "Mystical Order of the White Rose - Scandinavian Skete of Mary Magdalene." Reasons for this are explained on website. I celebrate her feast day on July 22, by baking madeleines and conducting a short ritual of anointing with Spikenard oil.
  • John the Evangelist; he's the Patron of above-mentioned Work. I still like to believe he - "the beloved disciple" - is the actual author of the fourth Gospel, and also of the epistles attributed to him, and of the Book of Revelation. And as Rudolf Steiner taught, it makes sense to me to think he was no one less than Lazarus raised from the dead. I have sometimes identified myself with the Beloved Disciple, who leaned against Jesus' chest at the meal, listening to his heart beats.
  • Gautama Buddha; there is no doubt he was historical figure, and he was a man, not god, who realised the truth and made it the way to be followed in life. Unlike followers of Jesus, his followers have mostly maintained his teachings. I have a small statue of Buddha on my home altar below the picture of Jesus.
  • St. Francis of Assisi; not surprising, because he is one the most beloved saints of all times. And one who truly deserves the title "saint". He represents so many virtues I wish I could manifest: love for nature and animals, caring for the sick and poor, friendly dialogue between different faiths, peace. I would like to be Franciscan...
  • Origen of Alexandria; after reading so much about his ideas, one must conclude he was ahead of his time, and still is. The most important single feature in his philosophy was that he disputed the doctrine of eternal punishment in hell - which is blashemy! 
  • Marcion of Sinope; "the great heretic of the early church". He made a strict distinction between Judaism and Christianity, and abandoned the Old Testament all together. Unlike his "orthodox" contemporaries, he didn't accuse Jews for rejecting Jesus. I often use "Marcion" as my nickname online (my name is Marko, so it's close).
  • Meister Eckhart; I only know fragments of his thoughts, but it has been enough to impress me. For instance, he believed in Godhead beyond the Trinity, and even claimed that Trinitarian God existed only in people's minds, and he said that even the human form of Jesus may become an obstacle.
  • H.P. Blavatsky; the mother of modern Theosophical movement I greatly respect. Even more so, because of all the stories told of her temper and nature. She was a real human being of flesh and blood, not some distant holy person. The Secret Doctrine and Isis Unveiled are yet to be read by me.
  • Pekka Ervast; I will always honor him as my spiritual mentor. See the links on the sidebar below, and also many translations I've made of his writings in this blog.
  • Rudolf Steiner; contemporary of Pekka Ervast, and they also met. Merits of Steiner are undeniable. However, it is unbearable to me to see how high his followers have raised him: he's next to God whose every word is divine truth.
  • Valentin Tomberg; this guy is thorn in the flesh of many anthroposophists - for he was one himself, and then left and converted to Catholicism. I'm reading his "magnum opus", anonymously published Meditations on the Tarot, and I like it! Whatever is causing friction for anthroposophists, is worth to look at. And he was never "orthodox" catholic - this book is full of esotericism.  
  • Max Heindel; founder of the Rosicrucian Fellowship, and another guy Steiner himself attacked, allegedly for plagiarizing him. Steiner had his bitter and mean personality features - he was harshly criticising others. I own a copy of Heindel's major work - The Rosicrucian Cosmo-Conception - published in Finnish in 1922. It is one of my treasures, very rare! 
  • Jiddu Krishnamurti; I first learnt about him in context of Theosophy. The whole "World Teacher" episode was very unfortunate, but it surely wasn't his fault, and when he renounced it, that was very upright. I can't say I'm familiar with his philosophy, but glimpses I've had, have been promising.
  • Master Beinsa Douno, or Peter Deunov; Bulgarian spiritual master, of whom Rudolf Steiner spoke with reverence. He was also corresponding with Jiddu Krishnamurti. Funny thing is, his disciple is perhaps better known than master...
  • Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov; disciple of master Beinsa Douno, who lived in France. They even looked alike! I came to know about teachings of Aivanhov through Cynthia Kitely Lee, so I also found Master Beinsa Douno afterwards. For anyone who's familiar with Theosophy, there is nothing really new.
  • Edgar Cayce; I'm not a big fan of channelled information, but Edgar Cayce is one exception I at least choose to consider, for instance, his interpretations on the Book of Revelation. 
  • G.I. Gurdjieff; first I was influenced by Enneagram (Take a free test! I'm number 5, by the way!). His message was, "people are asleep; they are machines". So true.
  • P.D. Ouspensky; one person who tried to gather Gurdjieff's system together.
  • C.G. Jung; I can't say I know his work very much, but his theory of Archetypes has influence on my spirituality. Jesus Christ is the greatest Archetype of all! (And it doesn't matter to me, if that is "all" he is, he is still the most meaningful figure ever!)
  • Osho; contradictory character, but it doesn't lessen the value of his teachings that are very Zen-like. 
  • Paramahansa Yogananda; Autobiography of a Yogi is excellent book, even though I think it contains some stuff that is simply impossible to believe. What appeals to me, is his way of interpreting Christianity in Eastern context; it may often open new horizons for reader.
  • Thich Nhat Hanh; this Vietnamese Buddhist monk is known to me by his books, and as was the case with Yogananda, I especially like how he interprets Christianity through Buddhist eyes.
  • Anton LaVey; founder of the Church of Satan. I have read his Satanic Bible, seen few documentary films. He was a smart guy, precisely because he didn't take it all too seriously.
  • Michael Aquino; once active member of the Church of Satan, then founder of the Temple of Set. For me his influence lies in the fact I'm reading his memoirs of the Church of Satan and find it very interesting.

Particular spiritual movements

  • Lectorium Rosicrucianum; this movement influenced me very strongly, because I was a pupil in the 90's. I was only the fourth pupil in Finland back then, and we had to travel to Sweden for weekend conferences that were held once a month (and I think they still do).  I finally resigned because they teach that pupil should not practice homosexuality (in other words, not love and live!), and I had just met my partner. Today I can say it is a cult! Yet there are some teachings I have kept. For instance, "masters of the White Brotherhood" - or whatever you call it - never make personal appearances and never appeal to human ego. That leaves no room for "Ascended Masters" and their "messengers".
  • AMORC; I've been influenced by online writings I have read. I did order their brochure already before I even knew about Lectorium Rosicrucianum. 
  • The Liberal Catholic Church; my first contact with LCC was in 1994. My experience with proper Christian ceremonial was now combined with spiritual knowledge and wisdom (Theosophy, that is, and thus acceptance of Reincarnation and karma, among other things). I have kept up my relationship to this very day. However, just like only Adyar Theosophy is present in Finland, so there is only the original branch of LCC that still doesn't ordain women and that is a shame!
  • The Christian Community; this denomination was born with assistance of Rudolf Steiner, and it's based on his Anthroposophy. I'm a member, but nowadays not very active - partly because I'm fed up with all Steiner-dogmatism. The Christian Community is supposed to be free from dogmas, but it holds many views that are considered almost self-evident, and it is such a blind spot that people deeply involved won't even see it. This is not to say anything against the Christian Community, but rather just to emphasize the fact that it isn't different from any other church.
  • The Independent Church of Australia; this one I know only through internet, and I must say it instantly caught my attention when I first found it many, many years ago. They obviously have many things in common with two denominations mentioned above. I have studied their website thoroughly and also translated some articles for my Finnish blog. Someday I'm going to order some books too.
  • Unity; I know Unity also through internet only. I have found much interesting information from their sites. 
  • The Holy Order of MANS; long gone movement that was active only in America. Thanks to internet, again, I have found many fascinating resources. There's just something about it that appeals to me; very churchy and even catholic, yet esoteric.
  • The Process Church of the Final Judgment; this 1970's movement had very intriguing theology which integrated Jehovah, Christ, Lucifer, and Satan. And it totally makes sense - to me, anyway. I have translated some articles in Finnish.
  •  Star of Azazel; Now, this is Finnish society I'm seriously considering to apply to. Theosophical world view with Satanism! It is nothing like hedonism and atheism of the Church of Satan. You better see it for yourself. I'm planning to write about my satanic interests in hopefully near future. 
You may notice how wide variety of influences I recognize. And I'm sure some of them make you wonder, how is that even compatible with everything else. Well, I think life is made of paradoxes. That's what makes it interesting.


1 comment:

cynthia said...

Hullo Marko,

Thank you for this post and all the information about your spiritual journey with regard to the eclectic, exoteric, and esoteric influences on it. Our spiritual journeys and autobiographies owe so much to mystics, teachers, authors, traditions and organizations that range from the far past to the present. Bright Blessings, Cynthia Lee, M.O.W.R.