Please, read the introduction page of this blog!

6/26/2009

Latter-Day Saints viewed by Contemporary Sinner

I would like to share some thoughts concerning the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, commonly known as mormons, which I will also use from now on. What I have to do with them, you might ask, and the answer is: nothing! It's just my general intrest in religion that makes me study everything from different perspectives. And what is more interesting than the most controversial issues? That's why I have read books and websites by mormons and against mormons (just like I have read about islam!). Once I have been in an open house evening at local mormon Church with touring and lecture by two missionaries from Utah; the other one spoke perfect Finnish to my amazement and had taken language course just before the mission (Finnish has nothing in common with English). They were very nice, the least I can say. After that I participated with the sacrament meeting (didn't partake of the sacrament though; I had already been to my own congregation earlier that morning - that was my only reason). It was interesting to hear people giving personal testimonies. Moreover, it was just too protestant to my liking. Me and my friend were the only guys without suit and tie. Later on, the LDS Temple was built in Finland, but I had no opportunity to go to see it while it was open for public. Lately I have been observing the struggle of young gay mormon. It is not different than that of any Christian who happens to be gay.

I remember one time when in a small gay group we were talking about mormons and I told something I knew about their "strange beliefs" and we all laughed. Afterwards I was ashamed of myself, because I realized I believe in many things others might find strange.
However, a concept of the Trinity is one thing I have to comment. Mormon idea of the three distinct persons - not to mention "heavenly parents" that supposedly made us - is simply materialistic. As the reflections of the Church Fathers prove, this idea is very profound; No wonder, everyone just can't get it. A child-like simple faith of the heart is certainly enough for the masses, but Christianity is also for the intellect: There are always higher Mysteries to reach for. And I'm not referring to Academic degrees here. As a friend of mine once put it, Theology is logic without wisdom, Sophia. Unitarians deny the Trinity altogether - just like Muslims; I cannot think any other reason than incapability to understand spiritual truths. And as I see it, Godhead is above all separation, but He/She can be called both the Father and the Mother, for masculine and feminine aspects are found in Him/Her in absolute Oneness.

Another area of contradictions with Mormon doctrines to me, is their strict rules for life. I have been there and seen that myself. In a movement I was involved with, denial to live as a gay man was one more rule that finally was too much for me. Nowadays I don't obey any written rules - that won't make me immoral, I just listen to my heart. The Gospel is all about Grace. Jehovah's Witnesses are easily compared with the Mormons, and I must admit the latter ones win this competition. Mormons aren't quite that strict! Because information is widely available I don't think anyone would join the Mormons without any clue what it's going to be like. Another matter are those young people who are raised Mormons and find out they are gay. (There is association called Affirmation for them!) I'm always very suspicious when children are raised within a belief system. It's not your "own" - it has been passed to you by your parents, just like your genes; but men are more than genetics, we are spiritual entities and in spirit we are free individuals who have to make our own choises and walk our own way!
I agree there is much good about the mormon focus on the family, and children should have some spiritual nourishment for growing as well, but it is possible to provide it in a manner they are not given all the answers but are free to search, starting on the solid ground. How about "Eternal Marriage" and Baptism for the dead? Jesus Christ put an end to blood ties:

"Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother" (Mt.12:47-50 KJ)
We are no longer members of the clan or tribe. We are members of the humanity. The blood of Christ makes us brothers and sisters.

It is a huge problem when a religious movement considers itself "the one and only true Church" that holds the whole Truth ("and nothing but the truth"). You see, there is a large amount of movements claiming that. They all can't be right, therefore - in my eyes at least - none of them is right in this particular claim, and if they make one mistake, they can make more mistakes. I used to belong to "the one and only true Church", so I think I know what I'm talking about!
First of all, one should know thoroughly every denomination and every religion there is, to be able to say something like that! It never ceases to amaze me how blind and ignorant people can be! Especially in the field of religion lack of objectivity is a common rule. Yet faith is always a personal matter - your relationship with God within your heart. It is foolishness to think your way is the best and suitable for all. Reason for existence of so many denominations and religions in the world is the fact that there are various types of men who need different approaches in their search for the Divine, which is universal because humanity as a whole was originated from the Divine Source.
There is no other scale to tell which denomination or religion is best for you, than the simple fact that you feel good about it: "This is where I belong!" If your religion causes you fears and doubts instead of peace of mind and love in heart, I tell you there is something wrong! I would recommend you to consider it again. I have walked that road and it's certainly not easy, but there was a point I was in danger to lose my faith altogether, and I don't think that's a good answer either! Religion must carry us on this earth as well as in the next world! If you don't find heaven here, you won't find it after you die.

Nobody wants to hear his dearly cherished faith is false! I can understand how the mainstream Christians may feel about the mormons. However, same Christians are telling me that my Church and my faith are false, so they are just as arrogant as Mormons! Funny thing is, I can sympathize with Mormons because they are not approved as Christians. And then again I can sympathize even more with the Community of Christ - former "reorganized LDS Church" - since its policy towards homosexuality has become increasingly more accepting (and among other things, they hold more traditional view of the Trinity, have never discriminated african Americans, and priesthood is open for women as well!). Obviously, it is a heretical movement in larger LDS context. I have always sympathized with heretics - for I am one myself! And a proud one! Interestingly, direct descendants of Joseph Smith Jr. held the leadership in CofC for long time. Founders of RLDS/CofC stayed behind - among them wife of Joseph Smith Jr. - when Brigham Young with his followers left to Utah. If I was a mormon, that would make me think which one is actually more original or rightful heir to "prophet's" legacy. CofC is a good example of "progressive revelation" - they are indeed hearing what the Spirit is saying to the Churches now. It is LDS Church that is left behind this time. You cannot "restore" what was... Time has gone by. Looking back you'll get stagnated as Lot's wife who became a pillar of salt. Direction is forward - new dawn is ahead. Things can't remain same and we can't go back. Instead of idealized state of affairs in the past, we would end up with distorted caricature. No movement, no life: Only dead things stay as they are...and decay.

When religious movement starts to attract masses, it often stops moving forward. I don't see a reason to try to have approval of major religious leaders. Who gave them the authority to define Christianity in the first place? God? No, I don't think so. They have taken that by themselves! I rather be where there is life! People build borders within their minds and between each other, they even try to limit God. We are all just fallible human beings - not saints [sic!] - and people are same everywhere. How could the absolute Truth be found among men - through men? And yet it was precisely these too often hardened hearts of men the message of Christ was layed upon! What a treasure in the vessels of clay! So was the Scripture written by men like these, men like you and I! Inspired? Perhaps. Dictated word by word? No way! Truth in this world tends to be relative, because it was trusted on such a fragile instruments as minds of men.
Of course there are "prophets" even in our times, Messangers sent to bring enlightment for humanity in the darkness of ignorance, exalted souls who see more and know more, but even they are far from being perfectly infallible spokesmen for God. The Ultimate Reality is so complex and beyond our comprehension, that no one is able to see the whole picture. And when I see one fragment and you see another, it may appear as we were speaking of two completely different realities.

I have read Mormons use water instead of wine because in early years they couldn't buy wine from their adversaries. But why make it a tradition? In my Church we use grape juice, so alcohol is not a problem. Communion without product of Vine seems invalid to me (and same goes with mere bread as used to be the case in Roman Catholic Church).
Like mormons, I believe there are many levels in Afterlife, but I don't believe we are eternally bound with one of them: We will pass them to ever higher and higher Glory (and even through the darkness if necessary). I don't know if we will become "gods" ruling the worlds, but deification or theosis - growing to the likeness of Christ - is purely Christian concept. According to Rudolf Steiner, we will become a new hierarchy of Angels.

I have tried to read the Book of Mormon, but I find it much too "old-testamental" in style. It lacks the spirit of the gospels. I agree it's hard to think Joseph Smith Jr. just made it up, and neighter I deny possibility he might actually have had visions of supernatural beings. In fact, it's not unusual today: There are channeled books like The Urantia Book or A Course in Miracles, "Ascended Masters" (including Jesus) appearing to people and so on. - Someone once claimed that angel Moroni and Ascended Master El Morya are the one and same. (Church Universal and Triumphant and the Prophets [sic!] are interesting subject to study!) My point is, I seriously doubt the source of such phenomenon, no matter what they say.

Mormon missionaries don't bother me, I don't mind them at all - for one reason or another! (Check out this calendar project!) There is something extremely sexy about neat and nice innocense... I could teach them other positions as well ; ).

No comments: