Please, read the introduction page of this blog!

1/04/2008

Silence and Peace

"There are those among you who seek the talkative through fear of being alone.

The silence of aloneness reveals to their eyes their naked selves and they would escape.

And there are those who talk, and without knowledge or forethought reveal a truth which they themselves do not understand.

And there are those who have the truth within them, but they tell it not in words.

In the bosom of such as these the spirit dwells in rhythmic silence."

Kahlil Gibran: The Prophet

When a group of people are gathered together for spiritual purpose in silence, we are starting as if beyond all words and concepts without any differences of opinions, and we listen to our innermost being before anything is shared aloud. We make room for one another and for Him, who will unite us: "He must increase, but I must decrease" is the starting point, and "Not I, but Christ in me" is the goal. And where two or three come together in His name, there is He with them.

"God speaks to hearts apart; and hearts apart must speak to him; and this is prayer. It is not prayer to shout at God, to stand, or sit, or kneel and tell him all about the sins of men. It is not prayer to tell the Holy One how great he is, how good he is, how strong and how compassionate. God is not man to be bought up by praise of man. Prayer is the ardent wish that every way of life be light; that every act be crowned with good; that every living thing be prospered by our ministry. A noble deed, a helpful word is prayer; a fervent, an effectual prayer. The fount of prayer is in the heart; by thought, not words, the heart is carried up to God, where it is blest, Then let us pray. They prayed, but not a word was said; but in that holy Silence every heart was blest."
The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ by Levi
Peace is not a passive state of being without war. Peace is an active quality of soul. Peace is inner serenity in the middle of the storm. Peace begins in us.
"Peace on earth among men who have good will!" was the christmas message of angels in St. Luke's gospel. Agape Love, divine love, unconditional love, does not mean one should like everybody - it's not a feeling; It is a living sense of good will expressed in selfless action. Let us be Peace makers among men!

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (Jh.14:27).
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (Jh.17:33).
Yet Jesus said also he didn't come to bring peace to the earth, but a sword (Mt.10:34). Max Heindel suggests that Jesus foresaw what his followers would do in his name. Paul Brunton says, Jesus brougth forth a two-bladed sword of truth; It will help and awaken the one who will receive it, but it will punish those who reject it.

Inner Peace

"The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds." - Philippians 4:7

Within the innermost part of my being, there is a sacred place where no outer turmoil can intrude, where no feelings of doubt of failure can reside. Here, within my soul, is the peace of God.
The peace of God surpasses all understanding and misunderstanding. It is a sacred assurance that gently erases concern and brings comfort to my soul. Like the cool, tranquil waters of a mountain stream, divine presence refreshes me.
There is peace within me that I can draw upon at all times because God's spirit is within me. Living in God's presence, I am serene. I understand what a blessing it is to give expression to the peace of God now and always.

I experience and give expression now to the peace of God within me.
(Healing Thougths, 1999. Unity School of Christianity.)

Silence and peace go together and through them comes Love! To love God is to listen to Him - not only asking this or that - and to love your neighbors is to listen to them without judging, just accepting.

No comments: